Sunday, January 11, 2009

B on The Dakota Tavern

The Dakota Tavern
249 Ossington Ave. (a few doors north of Dundas)
416-850-4579

The Dakota Tavern’s bluegrass brunch was my suggested outing for T & B Toronto firsts, and as a girl from out west I can confidently say that The Dakota did not disappoint. Its décor is rustic and charming, and the staff was even wearing fairly authentic looking western shirts (which I know isn’t that impressive given the recent cooptation of western dress by the hipster community). There is a definite country feel to the place. Which isn’t to say that people who aren’t from the west can’t or won’t appreciate The Dakota (hipsters will love it too!).

T and I got there around noon and made our way down the stairs (the tavern is in a basement) and waited dutifully by the ‘please wait to be seated’ sign.

The set up for brunch reminded me of a family reunion: long tables with red and white tablecloths. We got a seat at the bar and the bartender gave us the low down. It’s 12 bucks for all you can eat eggs, blueberry pancakes, potatoes, and sausage, as much coffee as you can drink, and a glass orange juice, oh and the music of course. Our spot gave us a view of the bluegrass bands plaid backs. It was good seat I thought. It meant we could stare at everyone watching the band without feeling too creepy. I can’t recall the bands name, but it was three guys, the music was good – bluegrassy – and the banter wasn’t bad either. There were quite a few kids milling about and dancing, which made it feel even more like a family reunion.

Our food came quickly and all heaped on top of one plate. T and I then dished out what we wanted onto our own more modestly sized plates. The food was fine; it didn’t blow me away, and I would have liked some toast. But all in all it was a pretty solid breakfast. The problem (if you choose to see it that way) with having breakfast at a bar is that the urge to drink is very strong (for those of you who read my other blog you know that I likes me some breakfast booze). Especially when they give you orange juice, which goes great with vodka. After I was done the vodka I got a Guinness, a very nutritious breakfast beer. I’m sure you’ve heard that a banana and a Guinness give you all the nutrients you need for a whole day?

I like the Dakota a lot. I’ve been back a couple times since, but in the evening. It’s maintains it’s laid back atmosphere, the staff have been consistently friendly (but not over the top) and the music is always great.

No comments: